Kid Tsu

Monday, November 11, 2013

Industry Rule #4080 - How NOT to Get a Major Label Record Deal


So although I had a great trip to New York, (check my blog about my trip here) I had an ulterior motive for going there. Let me tell you the back story.

I had paid a lot of money to Nakeshia Aradoz to do a song with MF Doom. Little did I know Nakeshia was only posing as Doom's manager, so I was very upset when i received these exclusive Doom verses which turned out to be the same verses off the song "VomitSpit". I'm still trying to get that money back. Anyway, I get in touch with the MF Doom profile on Facebook and the person on that site tells me to deal with a Rahsun Pickett, who he claims is his cousin. So I'm dealing with Rahsun, tell him about my story with Nakeshia, and pay a lesser amount to do a song with Doom. Rahsun even goes as far as to offer me a major deal with Sony, talking these big advance numbers after hearing my phone voice. He was like "Yo with that voice i wanna know if you rap!" So I send him a demo of my old rap shit and he tells me to QUIT MY JOB (which was paying me $120,000 a year) to meet him in New York. The dude could talk the talk. Saying he was an ex A&R at Universal, and got a job at Sony, with a subsidiary label he was running. I was sold, quit my job went to NYC.

I get to NY and he's nowhere to be seen. I'm calling him and he keeps saying he's in a different city doing business (meanwhile my cell is saying he's in some bum town in Georgia). Long story short, I never meet up with him or Sony, and come back home to Perth broke. I later find out Rahsun had gone to jail for fraud.

And, obviously that Doom is a fake!

So that was part of the reason The Chase took so long to come out, cos I was waiting on these fools. In the end i replace that song with a track with AG. AG is a gentleman, and probably did one of the better songs on the album. So in the end, AG's final piece to my album was a perfect one. AG I will be coming for you to battle you on the basketball court. I will beat you and become a member of DITC as per the terms of our betting agreement!

So the lessons I learned.

Never give the full price up front. Half now, half later. Investigate who you are dealing with, little clues like what city they are in, opposed to where you know the artist to be, are a big giveaway. Question everything. Get them on the phone, or on Skype, and deal direct with the artist whenever possible. Don't jump until you see paperwork!

To check out the results of this hard journey, please visit http://kidtsunamimusic.com

Peace

Kid Tsu

12 comments:

  1. Eff them cats...they will see

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah my bro Andre was a real good dude to deal with, an absolute honor to work with the legenday diggin' emcee.. I Agree 100.. So dope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no truer word been spoken... AG is all class..

      Delete
  3. Well that was pretty dumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I've found out about Aussies... they love and revel in pointing out others misfortune... despite the heights they may have reached... always looking to pull the next man down... hope its workin out for ya...

      Delete
  4. but it is dumb, you must be pretty delusional dude, might be time to humble yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love how a dude committing FRAUD makes ME delusional! lmao

      Delete
  5. Just a heads up RE: your major labels image up top. Be wary if someone tries to sign you to EMI, as it no longer exists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm not fucking with no majors in any case... ive learned better...

      Delete
  6. You had already been ripped off then quit a 120K job over a phone call?
    You know what they say about a fool and his money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was groomed over a series of phone calls... he was talking big advance numbers... i thought it was legit, so i quit work... i saw new york... no regrets...

      Delete
  7. That's not how I remeber that story going.
    I've heard it it a thousand times.

    ReplyDelete