Kid Tsu

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

It Starts With A Thought - Smart Goal Setting


The idea of making "The Chase" came to me while I was perusing profiles on MySpace. I came across Prince Po's (from Organized Konfusion) and saw that he was offering collaborations for a fair price. I, at that point, didn't know MCs did that. So that then became my goal. To make a compilation producers album with all my favorite MCs. I had no idea at that point how I was gonna put it out or anything like that. I had never put an album out before! But when your thought is that strong and that positive, anything is possible.

So after having the thought, you HAVE to take action. I wrote a shortlist(writing stuff down is really important) of MCs I wanted to work with and went about contacting them. Obviously money was an issue, at the time I was earning about 50k a year, and I realized that would not be enough money, but very naturally, the right thing fell into place after taking that initial action. I hit up Prince Po on MySpace and we did the song "Get It" and then things just snowballed.

Reaching out to MCs extended my network. Their network became my network and so on. I eventually got to reaching out to Yesh, one of my favorite MCs from Brooklyn and had to deal with his manager, Pocho Almodovar. After discussion with Pocho we realized we had similar thoughts and goals and hip hop. We agreed to make a partnership, and now Pocho is my manager. Pocho was able to sort out a lot of "how to" stuff that I had no idea about, and he basically fell into my lap.

So, back to not earning enough money, a job basically fell into my lap to earn $108k a year. I didn't even know what the job was other than being security related. I get onsite and realize I'm on an Immigration Detention Centre. lol... I stayed in immigration detention for the next 3 years, earning great money to fund "The Chase".

Further on I meet Chuck Chilla through Percee P. Chuck did the recording for Percee, and he also happens to be a tour promoter. He knew ALL the MCs on the East Coast as he toured them to LA, and was able to get me in touch with a majority of MCs that just were not online.

 So after a lot of positive experiences and a few hiccups (check my blog Industry Rule #4080 - How NOT to Get a Major Label Record Deal), I have now released a stellar album I am extremely happy with, and it all started with a strong, positive thought.

Guys, we can do anything we set our minds too. The universe has a funny way of making things fall into place, to achieve our ultimate goals. I suggest you dream big.

I have a lot of naysayers. "Errr you had to pay for your features", "Err hip hop has progressed, you're too 90s", "Err your stupid, err your dumb". DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE. DO NOT LET THEM AFFECT YOUR ULTIMATE GOAL. BE STRONG WITHIN YOURSELF AND IN YOUR GOAL.

I hope this helps some of you.

To hear the end result of this incredible journey of mine, i encourage you to please visit http://kidtsunamimusic.com

Peace

Kid Tsu


10 comments:

  1. nice, always interesting to hear how others have done it. Im a producer and this sort of info is great for me, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. word up my dude... be like nike... JUST DO IT! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. you`ve been a huge inspiration Kid Tsu ! Just started producing beats this year ! Just doing it for the love ! I would love to hear your opinion on that ! Whats the biggest thing I need to work on ? Hard to get constructive critisism from people that know their stuff like you do...!
    https://soundcloud.com/trogaul

    by the way: The Chase is just a masterpiece ! "Bang Exclusive" is one of my favorites !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think your beats are pretty dope... i guess its just figuring out who you want to be as a producer and who you want your target audience to be... and cater to that audience... and most of all yourself! just always keep digging in the crates...

      Delete
    2. wow , thanks man, thats the type of encouragement I needed ! Much appreciated !!!!!
      And I think you are right, Im really not sure what kind of audience I want to cater ! I`ll need to work on that !
      Anyways, thanks again for taking the time ! You just made my day !!!
      Keep up the great work !!!

      Greeting from Germany !

      Delete
  4. Just out of interest have you ever worked with any Australian MC's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yes with local MC's in Perth, 90% of the time it goes nowhere which is why I have chosen the path i have.... but there are a lot of Aussie MCs I am interested in... Brad Strut, Trem, Mantra and Delta to name but a few.... i recently hit up Doc Felix of Little Wonder to see if he can hook something up for me... hopefully we can make something happen...

      Delete
    2. Word up! would be very keen to hear something, You could seriously take Aussie hip hop to the next level! peace

      Delete
  5. As far as hip hop progressing or your to 90's, fuck that, music has no expiry date, keep doing your thing man.

    Dope beats too btw.

    peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dude for real... blessings...

      Delete